Food is Politics & Politics is Food

I'm not a politician. I'm not a expert in economics. I do however, care about my neighbors, my workers, my neighborhood & town. I enjoy reading about ideals of living, such as the 100 mile diet, homesteading, and food in general. However, as a local Torontonian on a modest income with two people to support I am forced to be responsible with how I spend. I make sure what I have is extended to it's utmost capacity.  Most families I know are in this boat with me. I try hard not to overuse resources I have been given access to as a matter of principal because of how I was raised. We lived up in the far north when I was young & my Mum was very creative about getting dinner on the table. My Grandparents raised during the Great Depression were very frugal about food & wasting it was tantamount to sin. Those lessons while ignored at the time did stick with me. 




One of the things I face regularly in the news is how demand on resources, on energy, on food and water are really under pressure. My regular reading led me to this video by economist & Irish Journalist, David McWilliams. You can make of the video what you will as I am not here to hammer home political points. However it does reaffirm my belief that food really is what makes our world go round. Do you know what's going into it? Do you know what it takes to produce it? Who is farming it? Who is producing the seeds? Is there a global food shortage? Is it lip service? I don't have the answers, but I am trying to at least be aware.

Comments

Popular Posts