Pickled Pink Onions = Magical Condiment!

I had pickled onions for the first time in New York. My friend and I were surprised at how excellent these were in the sandwiches we were having. Brie with pear & kale. (Also Parmesan truffle fries.)
I joked that I would have to make some when I got home & then promptly forgot about it until today. So here it is:


Sweet Pickled Pink Onions

2 cups of apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 tbsp Kosher Salt
3lbs of thinly sliced pink onions (top and bottom bits removed)
2 teaspoons of yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of celery seed
4 black peppercorns per jar












This made 3.5 small jars (3-500ml & 1-250ml jar)
Combine vinegar, salt, sugar and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and stir in sliced onions. Let simmer for 5 min.
Split the spices into the jars equally. Use a wide mouth funnel
& put the onions in. (I used some old tongs I had lying around)
When the onions are split up, pour the broth on top. Dislodge any bubbles with a wood spoon (Or in my case a stir stick from the local coffee shop)
Place lids on finger tip tight and water bath process for 10 minutes. The onions need a week to cure before you can eat them.

Comments

Popular Posts